Saturday, March 10, 2007

Flashes and Floaters: Retinal Detachment I

It is now about 4 weeks time since my Retinal Detachment surgery, and I could virtually restore my macula vision (the central vision that helps us to read and see the details), however my peripheral vision is still having a black dot and a ring shadow which is quite disturbing. My Ophthalmologist said that it may fade out in 4 to 8 weeks so I have to see how it goes. Anyway, it is still a good luck for me the retina can be reattached because RD is not a minor problem especially if you had eye surgery or cataract before.

My RD surgery was a complicated one as the doctor marked in the insurance claim, an 1.5 hours surgery turned out to be 2 surgeries in 4 hours. Because the tears were quite a lot and the vitreous traction was big so I had been treated with Scleral Buckling, a surgery to mount a silicone band around your eyeball and make an indentation to push the retina back to the choroid; and a surgery called Vitrectomy to remove the pulling vitreous.

After overcoming the first hurdle on surgery, I have to pass more gates in 3-6 months.

- result of the reattachment (excellent)
- infection after surgery (no problem)
- scar development leads to redetachment (good so far, but need to monitor 3 months)
- fade out of shadow in peripherals (not good but it can take time or forever)

Therefore, I am now undergoing low protein diet to prevent scar development and patiently wait for the gone of the shadow. Anyway, it is already very lucky if the macula vision is excellent and the retina is holding in place firmly, others are only bonus.

Another worry begins with the another eye, which has 20% risk today.

I may write up a more detail record about my RD experience when I recovered completely. The only comment today is IF YOU FIND FLASHES OR FLOATERS IN YOUR VISION, GO SEE AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST AT ONCE, hours count for how good the vision can be recovered. My case was the surgery happened within 1 hour the RD had been confirmed by the doctor, similar to the urgency of car accident.

Thanks to my ophthalmologists, my wife, my families, and those who pray for me on this hard time. Love and joy last though the fate is tough and cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker